Thursday, March 10, 2011

Week 10: Up Close and Personal

IMG_5510

First of all, here's this week's photo. It is actually a super-close up picture of a dead weed. This week I got a package in the mail with my extension tubes.
IMG_5523
Allow me to explain for the non-photo nerds. These are basically plastic rings of different sizes that allow you to get super close macro-type shots. You can use them together, or one at a time in any combo that you wish. Basically, you attach them to your camera and then attach the lens to the tubes. Everything you see in the camera is super blurry until you get very close to something.
Here's a test I did combining different tubes:
IMG_5470
This is using the smallest tube. It's a newspaper article. The really difficult thing about using these is you lose some light, so getting the correct exposure is more tricky. Focusing is also very hard!
IMG_5476
Here's combining 2 of them together. Ironically, I focused on the word "small." I decided to try some shots with things around the house.
IMG_5526
Here's my African violet. It's suffering this winter as you can see. The flowers are dead, but what I wanted to show is this is how close I am able to get with my 50 mm lens alone. Any closer, and I can't take a picture.
IMG_5486
Put on 31mm + 13mm tubes, and here's how close I can get. Cool huh?
IMG_5492
Fuzzy leaves
IMG_5498
Clementine
IMG_5508
Dead cherry
IMG_5506
Leaf buds on the tree
IMG_5504
Ice on the deck.

I hope I didn't get too dorky for you here, but I think the tubes are pretty cool. I should have some great flower shots come spring!

1 comment:

  1. This is so cool! Loving these pics you've been taking.

    Sadaf

    ReplyDelete